Twelve Tips For Christmas Pet Care
Tis the season for trimming the tree, stringing the lights and hanging the mistletoe. All this glitter and glow may set the stage for a festive season, but it can also catch the eye of your rambunctious dog or curious cat. Heeding twelve tips can help keep your loving pet safe and healthy this Christmas.
1. Active pets may run into, under or even up the Christmas tree. Falling trees are among the top of holiday dangers for pets. Secure the tree to prevent tipping.
2. Dogs may see tree ornaments and other decorations as a ‘snack’ or new chew toy. Use only non-toxic decorations.
3. Place more fragile ornaments at the top of the tree and use sturdier ones at the bottom. Fasten them securely. Ingesting breakable ornaments can cause cuts in your pet’s mouth and digestive system.
4. Keep Poinsettia plants out of your pet’s reach. Ingesting plant leaves can cause oral pain and vomiting.
5. To prevent a tug of war with electrical and light cords, tuck them out of reach.
6. Store packages out of reach. Food is a popular holiday gift. Pets who smell food in a package will rip into it and and potentially reap havoc on their intestines.
7. Mistletoe causes vomiting, labored breathing, shock, and cardiovascular collapse. Consider hanging only artificial.
8. Keep holiday candles high out of reach to prevent burns.
9. Chocolate is the most common treat during the holidays. If ingested by your pet, it can cause nervous system malfunctions and even death.
10. Vacuum around the Christmas tree regularly. The needles from a real or fake tree can cause intestinal blockage if eaten.
11. Ask family and guests not share table treats with your pet. Poultry skin, fatty gravies and other rich holiday fare can cause severe digestive problems, or worse, a life-threatening inflammation of the pancreas.
12. Put away children’s toys after they are opened. Ingesting toys or their small parts can cause choking or painful intestinal blockage, requiring emergency surgery.